If you are about to schedule a nose job, the cosmetic plastic surgeon would prepare you by informing you of things to do, and things to abstain from in the weeks coming up to the surgery. Equally, post-op is a critical aspect of the treatment, and with that in mind, here are a few aspects of post-op rhinoplasty care.
- Post Op Examination – This will be conducted by the plastic surgeon after the operation, and the nurse will demonstrate how to apply cold compresses, which need to be applied under both eyes for the first 48 hours. When you have natural nose surgery (known as เสริมจมูกธรรมชาติ in Thai), there is minimal swelling and, in some cases, none at all, and if tape and a splint are applied, they must be kept dry at all times.
- Sleeping Position – If you can sleep on your back, this is the preferred sleeping position, and if you sleep on one side, use two pillows to elevate the head and neck. The important thing is you don’t roll over onto your face, and putting bolster pillows to your left and right will help if you are a restless sleeper.
- Bath or Shower – You can shower after day 2, although a bath is better, and you must ensure that your nasal area remains dry, and use a very mild shampoo.
- Stitches – If stitches are present, they will be removed 7 days after the surgery.
- Tape & Splint – Once these have been removed, you should gently wash your face twice a day, to remove the natural oil, but this must be done very carefully to avoid damaging the healing tissue.
- Swelling – Of course, swelling varies from patient to patient, indeed the swelling may increase for 2-3 days, and when the splint is removed (7 days after surgery), your nose might look a little out of shape. This is natural and after a few days, the swelling will subside.
- Bruising – Much like swelling, this varies, but any discolouration should disappear after 7-10 days, and 10-15 days after the op, you can begin to apply make-up. You would, of course, call the clinic should there be any issues, and the surgeon would see you on a regular basis after the surgery, to check that healing is occurring as it should.
As we are all unique, each person responds differently when undergoing cosmetic surgery, and with the skills and experience of a top plastic surgeon, the new you will exceed even your high expectations.